R.J. Miller began driving a horse-drawn hearse in the early 1900's. After discovering his passion for the funeral service profession he opened his own business in August of 1917.
The business began in the back of Fountain and Chamber Dry Goods Store on the corner of Head Avenue and West Mill Street; the building still stands today. R.J. was noted as being the "Leading Funeral Director in Haralson County" by the Tallapoosa Journal. He held the record of attending more funerals than any funeral director in North Georgia, or probably even the State of Georgia. After ten years in the funeral profession, R.J. became the first funeral director in Haralson County to use the automobile hearse. His business reached Cleburne, Polk and Carroll Counties. In those days the funeral home and ambulance service were combined. R.J. Miller was known to make hearse and ambulance trips to "anywhere."
R.J. was married to the former Mabel McKissick and they had four children: Hubert, Bob, Ruth and Elizabeth. When R.J. passed away his eldest son, Hubert, took over the business at the age of 16. Hubert was liked by everyone who met him. He is known for his humor but most of all, his compassion. In 1940, Hubert and his mother, Mabel, moved the funeral home to its present location, formerly known as "The Steven's Cottage." Hubert married the former Carolyn Robertson and they had one son, Keith.
After Hubert's death, Keith, like his father, took over the management of the funeral home. Alongside his mother for many years, Keith and Carolyn carried out the "Miller Legacy." In 1989, Keith married the former Tammy Muse. They have one daughter, Mindy. After Carolyn's passing, Tammy, following in the footsteps of the women before her, began working at the funeral home. Throughout the past century the R.J. Miller family has been diligent in providing the best of services to all who seek their assistance.
This is the present location of the funeral home prior to our occupancy. It was owned by the Steven's family. The house was referred to as the "Steven's Cottage." The Miller's lived in the upstairs of the funeral home for many years. Hubert and Carolyn later bought the house beside the funeral home, where they lived their remaining years. That house now serves as the planning offices for the funeral home.
R.J. and Hubert Miller in front of the original funeral home location
This article was published in the local paper in October of 1991 when Miller Funeral Home still operated a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week ambulance service.
Miller Funeral Home
Phone: (770) 574-2411
41 West Mill Street, Tallapoosa, GA 30176